Mee Rubus (Noodles in Sweet Potato Gravy)
Want some newness in your noodles? Try Mee….Rubus! Its a yummy dairy free meal for a cold winters day.
Serves 8-10 people
500g yellow wheat noodles (singapore style)
500g bean sprouts
10 dried chillies, softened in hot water
10 slices galangal
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 sticks Lemon grass (only white bits)
1.5 liters water/vegetable stock
200g sweet potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
1 heaped tbs taucheow (salted soya beans)
1 tbs salt or to taste
2 tbs sugar
4 tofu, diced and fried
10 limes, halved
4 green chilli (optional)
Dark soya sauce (optional)
- Create the spice paste by adding all ingredients to a blender or food processor and chop until fine.
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a wok and fry the fragrant spice paste till oil rises to the surface stirring frequently (be careful not to burn).
- Add the taucheow (salted soya beans) and fry until fragrant.
- Add the gravy stock, mashed sweet potato, salt and sugar and cook over a low fire until it is all mixed together.
- Taste to adjust seasoning if needed.
- Then cook one serving of of the noodles in a wire ladle in boiling water and at the end add the bean sprouts .
- Remove the noodles drain and place on a plate once softened.
- Pour the hot gravy vegetables over the top and add the final garnishing ingredients.
Adjust your taste by adding more lime juice, chili or dark soya sauce…