Lady Fingers – Okra Chips
Yes, its hard to imagine that Okra could turn into a potato chip but try this clever little recipe and see for yourself.
There is a healthy alternative to potato chips! (Gluten free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian)
1½ cup okra, washed, towel dried and cut
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon rice flour
½ tablespoon chick pea flour (garbanzo flour also called besan flour)
½ teaspoon red chili powder
1/5 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
Salt as per taste
- Wash and dry okra with a towel, cut away the top stem and a little of the end. Then slit okra into half lengthwise and then into another half to make finger length pieces.
- Transfer cut okra into a bowl, pour in oil, and gently toss so that pieces are covered with oil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat okra evenly.
- Transfer to a flat microwave oven safe dish and spread the okra pieces out evenly.
- Cook in the microwave oven on high heat for 6 minutes, and check if okra pieces have turned crispy. If they feel soft, place it for 30 seconds and check. Repeat until the batch is crispy. (This is due to the different power levels of microwave ovens, so your timing may vary)
- Let it stand for 1 minute after it’s done and chips are ready to be relished
Please refer to pictures below to guide you:
Towel dry the okra
Cut okra into finger length pieces, slit to expose seeds lengthwise
After tossing all ingredients with okra pieces, notice the coat of the flour
BEFORE: Evenly spread okra pieces in a flat microwave oven safe dish
AFTER: crispy okra! They shrink quite a bit in size.
Here you go!
A great snack replacement to potato chips or add it as a side dish for any meal…